Sonntag, 20. Mai 2012

Is wearing red on a battle field ever a good idea?


Buzzwords
American Revolution, 4th July, Battle of Bunker Breeds Hill, American Independence, Constitution,  
I have to say that since I last wrote on my blog I have watched a really great documentary about the American Revolution and the process of gaining independence on the History Channel I think. When you can see how the people acted, what they wore, how the bloody events unfolded you can really get a feel of the historical era. From this documentary I have a few new areas which I am keen to search.  The whole process of becoming independent from London involved a number of battles http://www.theamericanrevolution.org/battles.aspx. One thing which has fascinated me for a very long time is why did the British soldiers wear red at this time? Please leave me some comments if anyone can enlighten me?!
For all the colours …and if you consider what our soldiers wear today…red the sign of an impending death. The documentary I avidly watched explained how the rebel forces decided to use guerrilla tactics and basically surprise the British troops in enclosed wooded areas and just shoot them down as they travelled from one outpost to another. The British were like sitting ducks and noted for their bad combat in small spaces that is in comparison to the traditional large battle planes they were used to fighting on. As a Brit myself, I look over this period of history with embarrassment, why didn’t they just grant liberty to their colonies? Imagine if today if parts of USA were ruled by London…surely the UK wouldn’t be such a good place to live if resources were to be stretched so far.
I had no results on the search engine Historical Abstracts for American Revolution or for American Independence for example. It’s really ok though not to be lucky this time, as I have gained a lot of information, well a real glimpse into this whole period of history through this documentary I’ve found. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen